Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Brave New World

Teaching: to impart knowledge or skill; to give instruction.

Musicing: any activity involving or related to music performance, such as performing, listening, rehearsing, or composing; a term coined by musicologist Christopher Small.

Brave New World – first blog, first post
Implications? I ultimately want this blog to be a thoughtful discussion of issues pertaining to music, music education, and my ongoing interaction with pedagogy and performance. To that end, I find myself constantly considering the digital natives Visitors & Residents with whom I work and contemplating the effectiveness of my interaction with them: Am I doing enough to be able to meet my students and ensemble members where they are in order to best help them move forward as scholars and musicians? And in working to meet them where they are, am I accurately and sufficiently presenting myself, whether it be in person or online?

In order for me to move this particular platform forward, I have to consider very carefully how I want to present myself in this digital world. To that I end, I will be reflecting these next few weeks on issues brought forth in the ongoing DigPINS (Digital Pedagogy/Identity/Networking/Scholarship) course at St. Norbert College in which I am currently involved.



As you can see from my initial assessment of my digital Visitor/Resident status, I don’t necessarily feel that I currently have a significant Resident status in any particular area - perhaps through email and somewhat through sharing Google Docs. I don’t see the need to air all my opinions and perspectives online in any format, so to that end, I am comfortable keeping my cards close to my vest and not showing my whole hand. (Thanks, Scott, for the poker analogy.)

How timely that I recently encountered these words from the Irish poet and philosopher John O’Donohue:

Each one of us is the custodian of an inner world that we carry around with us. Now, other people can glimpse it from [its outer expressions]. But no one but you knows what your inner world is actually like, and no one can force you to reveal it until you actually tell them about it. That’s the whole mystery of writing and language and expression — that when you do say it, what others hear and what you intend and know are often totally different kinds of things. [from Walking in the Pastures of Wonder: John O’Donohue in Conversation with John Quinn]

I think the last statement perfectly encapsulates the dilemma we constantly face, whether it is in person or online. Since I view my digital presence primarily as a tool for work and communication, I am well aware that my true self will never be fully present online. And that’s ok – as long as I can feel that I have done my best to present my thoughts and ideas as clearly as what I know them to be.


Cautiously, strategically, thoughtfully I move forward…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Brave New World

Teaching: to impart knowledge or skill; to give instruction. Musicing: any activity involving or related to music performance, such as ...